Math 299: Introduction to Mathematical Proof
Final Exam – Thursday, May 21, 2020, 5:15pm
- Finish working on the Term Paper Final Exam. Follow the instructions on the first page of the exam. Place the final copy in your Dropbox folder before 5:15pm on Thursday, May 21. We will meet in our Zoom classroom at 5:15pm on Thursday, May 21 for a course wrap up chat. Send any questions to the Homework Hotline as usual. Game on!
Math 299 Online
- Math 299 Online Classroom Our new home away from home. Click here to enter our new Zoom classroom.
- Zoom help – Zoom for Scranton students, how to install, how to use, documentation.
- Lurch – a math word processor that can check your proofs! I designed and wrote this software with former Scranton math major Nathan Carter specifically with this course in mind.
- Toy Proofs – a “toy” proof system I developed to introduce students to the concept of formal proofs.
- Circle Dot Game – describing the definitions behind the game.
- Toy Proof Talk Slides – slides from a talk I gave on Toy Proofs at the 2009 Joint Mathematics Meetings
Mathematical Writing and Typesetting
- Overleaf – a free website where you can easily produce LaTeX math documents through a web browser
- Homework Template – Handout style – click this link to start a new assignment (chose ‘Clone this project’ after clicking on this link).
- Sample Document – an example document using the homework assignment style above.
- Homework Template – article style – click this link to start a new assignment that is formatted more like a typical LaTeX article(chose ‘Clone this project’ after clicking on this link).
- Sample Document – an example document using the article style above.
- LaTeX Cheat Sheet – a quick reference that can be printed on one sheet of paper
- Detexify – a quick way to look up the name of a math symbol in \LaTeX by drawing it by hand.
LaTeX for laptops
- LyX – a free math word processor based on LaTeX
- MikTeX – install this and TeXnicCenter for LaTeX on your Windows computer
- TeXnicCenter – install this and MikTeX for LaTeX on your Windows computer
- MacTeX – Install this for LaTeX on your Mac computer